The Department of Community Health works with physicians primarily through the Medicaid program, State Health Benefit Plan and various boards attached to the department.
Medicaid - (800) 766-4456
- Pays for services provided by licensed physicians.
- More than 83 percent of the 1.4 million recipients visited physicians during FY 2004.
- Payments to physicians totaled $597 million in FY 2004--10 percent of all Medicaid benefits expenditures.
- Reimbursement: Medicare's Resource-Based Relative Value Scale (RBRVS) sets the statewide maximum allowable fee.
State Health Benefit Plan (SHBP)
Georgia Composite Medical Board - (404) 656-3913
- Responsible for the licensing of physicians.
Georgia Board for Physician Workforce - (404) 656-3913
- Develops medical education programs through financial aid to medical schools and residency training programs.
- Administers medical scholarships and loans to promote medical practice in rural areas.
PeachCare for Kids® - 1-877-GAPEACH (1-877-427-3224)
- A comprehensive health care program for uninsured children living in Georgia.
- Collects health care data
- Helps to develop policies for health care services
- Provides staff support for the Health Strategies Council, its subcommittees and its technical advisory committees.