SHBP Performance Center

The Department of Community Health administers the State Health Benefit Plan (SHBP) – a primarily self-funded, self-insured plan – providing health coverage to more than 649,939  state employees, teachers, retirees and their dependents.

This section of our website contains SHBP statistical information and is typically updated monthly to reflect the most current SHBP membership data.

  • In 2012, the SHBP Wellness Plan was one of the largest in the nation.
  • As of January 2017, SHBP enrolled members and their dependents totaled 649,939 lives.
  • Of all covered members, actives account for about 75 percent of the total and retirees/former employees continuing coverage comprise the remaining 25 percent.  
  • Of all covered lives, teachers and school personnel typically represent about 76 percent of all members and state agency employees account for 10 percent.