Medicaid & CHIP Redesign Initiative
The Georgia Department of Community Health (DCH) is conducting a comprehensive assessment and recommended redesign of Georgia's Medicaid Program and Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP/PeachCare for Kids®). Navigant Consulting was retained to assist the Department in conducting this review.
This initiative was undertaken to help us look at various strategic options geared toward achieving long-term program and financial sustainability.
DCH plans to implement a Medicaid Medical Coordination Program for Medicaid members who are aged, blind or disabled (ABD) as identified by members’ Categories of Aid. For more information, click on the link below:
- PUBLIC NOTICE: Medical Coordination Program for the Aged, Blind and Disabled Population State Plan Amendment – 10/10/13
Early in the Initiative’s assessment phase, DCH developed weighted goals and strategies for the Redesign. These goals are to:
- Improve health care outcomes for members (34%)
- Enhance the appropriate use of services by members (33%)
- Achieve long-term sustainable savings in services (33%)
Additionally, there are six key strategies (also weighted) that will be used to achieve our goals. For a detailed chart of the Redesign goals and strategies, please click here.
Medicaid and CHIP Redesign Strategy Report
The Strategy Report has been issued by Navigan Consulting to the Department and is posted here on the DCH website.
The Strategy Report includes national environmental and Georgia-specific environmental scans of the Medicaid and CHIP programs, as well as a variety of delivery options for the Department to consider as it develops the future Design Strategy. The delivery options evaluated in the report reflect each proposed option’s ability to meet the goals and strategies as defined by the Department.
Redesign Strategy Report - Posted January 2012
- Executive Summary and Chapters 1-5
- Navigant Final Report to GA Appendices A to H
- Navigant Final Report to GA Appendices I to J
- Navigant Final Report to GA Appendix K
- Navigant Final Report to GA Appendices L to R
Expanded Executive Summary
Consistent with its Medicaid Redesign work, the Department of Community Health - in collaboration with consumer advocates, providers, partner agencies, and other stakeholders – is continuing its evaluation of the Georgia Medicaid program to identify opportunities to enhance care coordination and quality outcomes. As part of this effort, DCH has conducted significant data analysis of the Aged, Blind and Disabled (ABD) population’s utilization of Medicaid services. This current ABD data set is detailed in the below presentation.
- Presentation: Medicaid's Aged, Blind and Disabled Profiles - Posted 11/09/12
- ABD Data Presented to the ABD Redesign Task Force, April 10 (4.55 MB) - Posted 04/20/12
- MHSA Dashboard, April 26; Prepared for MHSA Workshop May 1 (492 KB) - Posted 05/02/12
Questions or Comments?
Thank you for your interest in the Medicaid and CHIP Redesign Initiative. If you have questions or comments, please e-mail us at MyOpinion@dch.ga.gov.
Check this website often for updates and additional information.
View the press release