Money Follows the Person (MFP) is a rebalancing initiative that was made possible by an eleven-year grant to states from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). This grant is designed to help individuals who are institutionalized in in-patient facilities like nursing facilities, hospitals and intermediate care facilities (ICF) for people with developmental disabilities, to return to their homes and communities.
The Georgia Department of Community Health implemented Money Follows the Person on September 1, 2008. Through partnerships with the Department of Human Services, the Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities, the Department of Community Affairs, and other state and local agencies and organizations, DCH seeks to transition 2,142 individuals from institutional setting to the community.
MFP Information for Georgia Consumers
What is MFP?
Money Follows the Person (MFP) allows people in in-patient facilities (i.e. hospitals, nursing homes or other long-term care facilities) who are elderly or have physical or developmental disabilities to move out and receive support services to live in their own homes and communities. Money follows the participant by allowing the state to pay for long-term support services in a home and community-based setting rather than an institutional setting.
- Referral Form- Updated 04/01/13
- Money Follows the Person Consumer Brochure - Updated 07/31/12
- Money Follows the Person Complaint Form - Updated 02/12/13
- Money Follows the Person Poster - July 2012 - Updated 07/31/12
- MFP Participant Transition Planning Guide 2012 - Updated 09/09/11
Who can benefit from MFP?
Georgia plans to help 2,142 MFP participants transition from institutions through December 31, 2016. In order to be eligible for MFP, you must:
- Live in an inpatient facility (i.e. nursing home, hospital or intermediate care facility) for at least 90 consecutive days (short-term rehabilitative stays don’t count)
- Be a Medicaid beneficiary for at least one day prior to transition
- Meet institutional level of care
- Move into a qualified residence (home, apartment or group setting)
What can I expect from MFP?
If you wish to participate in MFP (or refer a friend or family member to the program), contact the state MFP office at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 404-651-9961. An Options Counselor or Transition Coordinator will contact you to arrange a screening to determine your eligibility for MFP and to find out what you may need in order to resettle in the community. The Options Counselor or Transition Coordinator will then assist you in arranging home and community-based services through one of Georgia’s Medicaid waiver program or other Medicaid services. With assistance from the Options Counselor and Transition Coordinator, you and your family, friends, and representatives will begin planning together for what you want your life in the community to be like. When you are ready to leave the facility, the MFP program can provide you with assistance such as security and utility deposits, furnishings and basic household items, moving costs, environmental modifications to make your home or apartment accessible, connections with peer supporters and other community resources, and other additional services.
If you have any questions about MFP, contact:
- The Department of Human Services Aging and Disability Resource Connections at 866-55-AGING (866-552-4464)
- The Office of the Long Term Care Ombudsman at (888) 454-LTCO (5826)
- DCH, MFP Project Staff at email@example.com or by calling 404-651-6889 or 404-651-9961
MFP Forms - Updated 04/01/13
- Kaiser case study looks at Georgia's three-year-old MFP demonstration - 12/8/2011
- Georgia Money Follows the Person: A Snapshot- Revised 01/10/12
- Georgia MFP Operational Protocol (3 files) - Updated 02/20/13
- Georgia MFP Policy and Procedure Manual- Updated 02/12/13
- HCBS: A Guide to Medicaid Waivers in GA- Revised 7/5/2011
- Money Follows the Person Overview Presentation - Revised 08/06/2012
MFP Project Evaluation Reports
- MFP Evaluation Advisory Team meeting Agenda-09183 - Posted 09/13/13
- MFP Pre Post Cost Analysis-Vaughns-09062013 - Posted 09/13/13
- MFP 4th Quarter Dashboard-7.2013-Kauss-091813 - Posted 09/13/13
- MFP Semiannual Report Presentation 7.2013 Kauss-Fuller-091813 - Posted 09/13/13
- MFP Logic Model 7-3-13 Fuller-091813 - Posted 09/13/13
- MFP Quarterly Evaluation Team Meeting Summary Report 03/13/13 - Posted 04/05/13
- MFP Semiannual Dashboard-Fuller - Posted 04/05/13
- MFP Semiannual Report Eval Team Presentation-Fuller - Posted 04/05/13
- MFP Process Orientation Workshop: Training Evaluation - Posted 04/05/13
- MFP Quality of Life Evaluation Additional Questions Results thru March 5, 2013 - Posted 04/05/13
- 2013 MFP Project Evaluation Semiannual Report - Posted 04/01/13
- Money Follows the Person Quality of Life Survey - Posted 04/01/13
- 4th Quarter 2012 MFP Evaluation Report - Posted 09/04/12
- 3rd Quarter 2012 MFP Evaluation Report - Posted 08/02/12
- 2nd Quarter 2012 MFP Project Evaluation Report - Posted 04/27/12
MFP Steering Committee Minutes and Other Reports
- MFP_SC_Meeting_Agenda_012214_Bainbridge_PAJohnson_FINAL.pdf - Posted 01/21/14
- MFP_SC_Meeting_Quarterly Transitions_Report-100113-123113_taylor.pdf - Posted 01/21/14
- MFP_SC Meeting_DAS_Report_MDSQ_MFPTC_Riedesel_Wright_012214.pdf - Posted 01/21/14
- MFP_SC_Meeting_Pjt_Data_Report_ldvaughns_012214.pdf - Posted 01/21/14
- MFP_SC_Meeting_HousingRpt_Greathouse_012214.pdf - Posted 01/21/14
- MFP_SC Meeting_2013_Sentinel_Events_Presentation_Collins_012213.pdf - Posted 01/21/14
- MFP_SC_Meeting_Planning_Policy_Development_Update_Grubbs_011714.pdf - Posted 01/21/14
- MFP_SC_Meeting_EvaluationPresentation_Khalaf_012214.pdf - Posted 01/21/14
- MFP_SC_Meeting_Evaluation_1st Quarter 2014 Dashboard_Khalaf_012214.pdf - Posted 01/21/14
- MFP_SC_Meeting_Agenda_Johnson_102313.pdf - Posted 12/30/13
- MFP_SC_Meeting_Minutes_Summary_Grubbs_102313.pdf - Posted 12/30/13
- MFP_SC_Meeting_Quarterly Transitions_070113-093013_rpt_Taylor_101813.pdf - Posted 12/30/13
- MFP_SC_Meeting_Options_Counseling_Riedesel_101513.pdf - Posted 12/30/13
- MFP_SC_Meeting_DBHDD-DD_Update_Wiseman_10232013.pdf - Posted 12/30/13
- MFP_SC_Meeting_CBAY_Report_FLOWERS_10172013.pdf - Posted 12/30/13
- MFP_SC_Meeting_UpdateCharts_Vaughns_102313.pdf - Posted 12/30/13
- MFP_SC_Housing_Benchmark_Update_093013_Vaughns_102313.pdf - Posted 12/30/13
- MFP_SC_Meeting_Housing_Update_Greathouse_101813.pdf - Posted 12/30/13
- MFP_SC_Meeting_Bi_Annual_Sentinel_Events_Rpt_Collins_101613.pdf - Posted 12/30/13
- MFP_SC_Meeting_Train_Employ_DSW_Update_Grubbs_102113.pdf - Posted 12/30/13
- MFP_SC_Meeting_4thQ_GHPC_Dashboard_Romanson_102113.pdf - Posted 12/30/13
- MFP_SC_Meeting_4thQ_SC_GHPC_Presentation_Romanson_102113.pdf - Posted 12/30/13
- MFP_Steering_Committee_Agenda_Johnson_072413.pdf - Posted 12/30/13
- MFP_Steering_Committee_MintuesSummary_Collins_072313.pdf - Posted 12/30/13
- MFP_Steering_Committee_Quarterly_Transitions_040113-063013_Taylor_072213.pdf - Posted 12/30/13
- MFP_Steering_Committee_Housing_Benchmarks_Vaughns_071513.pdf - Posted 12/30/13
- MFP_Steering_Committee_ProjectDataRpt_Vaughns_072413.pdf - Posted 12/30/13
- MFP_Steering_Committee_MDSQ Data by Month_Riedesel_071813.pdf - Posted 12/30/13
- MFP_Steering_Committee_DAS_Report_Wright_072313.pdf - Posted 12/30/13
- MFP_Steering_Committee_CBAY_Update_HendersonSmith_071813.pdf - Posted 12/30/13
- MFP_Steering_Committee_HousingUpdate_Greathouse_072413.pdf - Posted 12/30/13
- MFP_Steering_Committee_Training_Employment_Update_Grubbs_072313.pdf - Posted 12/30/13
- MFP_Steering_Committee_3rdQ SC Presentation_Fuller_071513.pdf - Posted 12/30/13
- MFP Quarterly Steering Committee Meeting Summary Report 04/17/13 - Posted 05/24/13
- MFP SC Agenda 04/17/13 - Posted 05/24/13
- MFP SC Transitions 04/17/13 - Posted 05/24/13
- MFP Steering Committee 04/17/13- Posted 05/24/13
- MFP_Housing Benchmarks - Posted 05/24/13
- DAS-MFP MFP Steering Committee 04/17/13 - Posted 05/24/13
- MFP GHPC Semiannual Evaluation Report 04/17/13 - Posted 05/24/13
- Housing Presentation for SC 04/17/13 - Posted 05/24/13
- Steering Committee Meeting Notes - January 17, 2013 - Posted 03/05/13
- Presentation: MFP Transitions Update-Sandy Taylor - Posted 03/05/13
- Presentation: MFP Steering Committee Charts-LeslieVaughns - Posted 03/05/13
- Presentation: MDSQ Options Counseling-Amy Reidesel - Posted 03/05/13
- Presentation: MFP 1st QTR 2013 Quality of Life Survey-Fuller - Posted 03/05/13
- Steering Committee Meeting Notes - July 19, 2012 - Posted 07/31/12
- Meeting Handout # 1: Appendix B-MFP Services Table - Posted 07/31/12
- Meeting Handout # 2: MFP Organizational Chart_062212 - Posted 07/31/12
- MFP Steering Committee Meeting Notes from April 2012 - Posted 04/30/2012
- MFP 2011 Second Period Semiannual Report submitted to CMS - Posted 05/03/2012
- MFP 2010 Second Period Semiannual Report submitted to CMS - Posted 05/03/2012
- MFP Steering Committee Meeting Minutes from January 2011
- MFP Steering Committee Meeting Minutes from July 2011
Alternative formats available upon request.
MFP Training - Webinars
MFP Overview: Training for Qualified Vendors and Service Providers (QVSP)
Description: Vendors and service providers providing services to MFP participants must complete this training presentation. This training presents a brief 15 minute overview of the MFP Project, project goals, outcomes and performance benchmarks, MFP transition services and the transition planning process. Vendors and service providers must review the presentation as soon as possible before initial contact with the MFP participant. The Overview/QVSP presentation must be reviewed within 30 days of initial contact with a MFP participant. This training is required for Peer Community Supporters, PSS direct service workers doing Trial Visit PSS, Life Skills Coaches, Caregivers involved in Caregiver Outreach and Education and Home Care Ombudsman. Follow the link below to review a brief PowerPoint presentation and then complete, sign and return the presentation evaluation form to R.L. Grubbs at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 770-357-8857.
Title: MFP Process Orientation CORE Training: Deskaids and Workworks Employment Manual
Description: Deskaids are quick reference guides or ‘memory joggers.’ A set of five deskaids was prepared for use by MFP field personnel to assist with recall of MFP transition processes and resources. New tools have been developed to guide field personnel in Person Centered Career Planning focused on vocational goals of participants.
Training Objectives: After this training, you will be able to -
- use deskaids to advise MFP participants regarding waiver options and application processes, inform participants about services and assist participants with housing searches;
- identify the your role in Person-Centered Career Planning;
- identify three community employment options and two employment service providers;
- identify qualified vendors and make referrals for the MFP Supported Employment Evaluation (SEE) service; and
- use the “Employment” deskaid to facilitate a discussion about vocational goals and work incentives.
Materials: You will need the Set of 5 DESKAIDs and a copy of the Workworks for Everyone Manual. Contact your manager/supervisor for these materials.
1. Download the presentation handout PDF
2. Click the link to play the recording of the training: https://dchmeetings.webex.com/dchmeetings/ldr.php?AT=pb&SP=MC&rID=27374447&rKey=ac69485b314a758b
3. After reviewing the training, complete the Training Evaluation Form and fax to R.L. Grubbs at 770-357-8857.
If you need assistance, you can contact R.L. Grubbs at email@example.com or by phone at 404-657-9323.
Trainers/Facilitators: Vaughns, Johnson, Grubbs, Underwood, Wright, Greathouse and Crandell
Training Material: MFP Training Evaluation Form: DESKAIDs & Workworks Manual - Posted 12/12/13
How to Administer the Quality of Life Survey - 6/28/2011 (1 hour 28 minutes)
Trainers/Facilitators: R.L. Grubbs (Specialist); Natalie Towns and Kristi Fuller (GHPC, Statewide Evaluation Consultants)
Checklist for Transition to the Community - 6/23/2011
Understand the flow of activities in the transition process using the Checklist for Transition to the Community - a step by step review of the transition process with corresponding documents. (1 hour 35 minutes)
MFP Process Orientation Workshop – Updated MFP CORE training designed to introduce field personnel to changes in the MFP transition process, new MFP transition services, a review of person-centered planning, waiver application processes, financial reimbursement and reporting processes.
Trainers/Facilitators: R.L. Grubbs (Specialist), Pam Johnson (PD), et.al.
Training Material: Workshop Training Manual - Posted 02/04/13