A health information exchange (HIE) allows health care professionals and patients to access and securely share a patient’s vital medical information electronically. There are many health care delivery scenarios driving the technology behind the different forms of health information exchange available today.
Georgia’s Statewide HIE
The Georgia Health Information Network (GaHIN) is the State-Designated Entity for the State of Georgia Health Information Exchange (HIE). Created as a public-private partnership under the leadership of the Department of Community Health (DCH), Division of Health IT, GaHIN electronically connects Georgia hospitals, physicians, clinicians, payers, wellness partners and other health care stakeholders to exchange patient health information though a secure network.
GaHIN Vision: To create a healthier Georgia through the use and exchange of electronic health information to improve patient-centered health care, increase efficiencies and improve the health of the state’s entire population.
GaHIN Mission: To facilitate a statewide health information network for Georgia that is trusted and valued by all stakeholders; works to improve health care coordination and reduces costs; and establishes a solid foundation for long-term financial sustainability.
GaHIN Purpose: To close the patient information gap across care settings by electronically connecting disparate systems and data sources to support improved quality of care, better health outcomes and reductions in cost.
Benefits of connecting to GaHIN
- Improved clinical decision-making as a result of easy access to critical patient information
- Fewer errors and delays in treatment
- Faster access to patient information at the point of care
- Less time searching, calling and faxing other providers to send or obtain patient information
- Reduced expenses for unnecessary medications, tests and hospitalizations
- Decreased costs by replacing paper-based communications including faxing and courier services
- Make only one connection to GaHIN through your electronic health record (EHR) instead of multiple, costly connections to all the providers you share patients with
Through a unique offering of technology solutions, GaHIN gives its members the ability to access a more complete view of their patients' health information directly from their EHR systems.
The regional HIEs offer networked services that give providers access to critical patient information that will improve the quality of care across our state, and deliver a more efficient and cost-effective health care system.
To learn more about GaHIN and its services, visit www.gahin.org.